- When hiring a contractor, ensure they are licensed and insured, have some referrals, and the estimate is not too high or too low.
- Multiple estimates will save you from being scammed, and you can be confident that you’re making the best decision for your roofing needs.
- If the contractor is too pushy or requests full payment upfront, it’s probably a scam.
- Roofing repair is not something everyone can do! You must call a professional to do it for you!
Choosing the right roofing contractor is critical to ensure your project is successful. It can be hard to know whom to trust with so many contractors offering these services. However, by taking the time to research and ask the right questions, you can find a reliable contractor.
Here are some important things you need to consider before hiring a roofing contractor!
Factors to Consider
1. The Contractor Must be Licensed and Insured
When hiring a contractor, you must ensure that the company you are working with is properly licensed & insured in case anything goes wrong during the project.
2. Ask for Referrals
Ask your friends, family & neighbors for referrals. If someone you know has had a good experience with a particular contractor, chances are you will too.
3. Do Your Research
After shortlisting a few contractors, take some time to research each one. Check out their website & read online reviews to better understand their workmanship and customer service.
Read: Beware of the roof repair scam!
By following these tips, you can be sure that you’ll find a reputable roofing contractor who can get the job done right.
The Importance of Getting Multiple Estimates
When it comes to roofing, it’s important to get multiple estimates before making a final decision. This is because there can be a lot of variation in the price of roofing materials and labor costs. By getting multiple estimates, you can be sure you’re getting the best price for your roofing project.
Furthermore, you can also be sure that you’re getting an accurate estimate of the scope of work that needs to be done.
It also allows you to get a sense of each contractor’s individual style andapproach. This way, you can choose the one you feel most comfortable with, and you feel confident will do the best job.
By taking the time to get multiple roofing quotes (at least three), you can be confident that you’re making the best decision for your roofing needs.
Questions to Ask Potential Contractors
It’s important to ask questions to determine the type of materials they use, how long the project will take, and their warranty policy.
Before signing the contract, ask your potential roofing contractor these four key questions:
How long have you been in business?
The longer, the better! This also means they’re more likely to be around to fulfill their warranty should any problems arise.
Are you licensed and insured?
Ensure your contractor is licensed in your state and has liability and workers’ compensation insurance. This protects you from being liable in case of an accident.
What type of warranty do you offer?
Be sure to find out what kind of warranty is offered on materials and labor. This will help you file a claim.
When can you start?
Ask when your contractor can start the job if you need repairs ASAP. Some may even be able to start the same day!
How to Spot a Scam Artist
As anyone who’s ever been the victim of a scam knows, it can be difficult to spot a scam artist until it’s too late. And when it comes to roofing scams, the potential for costly damage is especially high. So how can you protect yourself from being taken advantage of by a roofing contractor?
1. Pressure to Act Quickly
A reputable roofing contractor will understand that roof repair or replacement is a significant investment. As such, they won’t pressure you into deciding on the spot. If you’re being offered an “amazing deal” that expires in 24 hours, it’s likely a scam.
2. Request for Full Payment Upfront
It’s not uncommon for roofing contractors to request a deposit before beginning work. However, you should never be asked to pay the full amount upfront. Doing so puts you at risk of never seeing your money again if the contractor decides to take off with it.
3. Lack of Insurance:
Any reputable roofing contractor will carry both liability and workers’ compensation insurance. Be sure to ask for it before hiring anyone to work on your roof.
You won’t fall prey to a roofing scam if you keep your eyes open.
How to Prepare for a Roofing Job
You’ve finally decided to take the plunge and replace your old, worn-out roof. But before the roofing crew arrives, there are a few things you need to do to prepare your home for the job.
· First, ensure all loose items, such as toys, lawn furniture, and garden tools, are stored away. This is important if you want to avoid damage and loss during the roofing process.
· Secondly, trim any branches that are close to your house. This will give the roofers clear access to your roof and minimize the risk of damage to your property.
· Finally, take the time to clear away debris from your gutters and downspouts. This will help ensure that the new roof drains properly and prevent water damage to your home.
What to Do If Your DIY Roof Repair Goes Wrong?
Taking on a roofing job on your own is never recommended since you can end up doing more harm than good. It’s best to leave it to the professionals. However, if you find yourself in trouble, follow these steps:
- First of all, don’t panic. Stay calm & assess the situation. If you can safely identify the problem, try to fix it yourself.
- The most important thing is to make sure everyone is safe. If there is any risk of falling, ensure that anyone not involved in the repair work stays away from the area. Once everyone is safe, you can start thinking about how to fix the problem.
- Do not try to cover up or ignore problems with your roof. Ignoring problems will only worsen them and could eventually lead to serious damage or collapse.
- It’s best to call a professional in case something goes wrong!
Before hiring a roofing contractor, you must consider insurance, license, referral, and budget factors. It would be best if you do your research and ask plenty of questions to ensure you hire the best possible contractor for the job. Please don’t take chances regarding roofing repairs or replacements since it’s a big investment.
If you’re unsure, contact LD Total Roofing in Bradenton, FL. From residential to commercial roofing and handyman services – we have it all covered for you!